Home | Active Component Home | FAQ | Site Map | Webmaster  
Employment Assistance

Employment Assistance

For many Soldiers and civilians leaving government service, finding a new job is their first priority. Congress recognized the importance of employment assistance and required the military departments to create permanent employment assistance centers at major military installations. Your ACAP Center is the best place to start your career search. If you are not near an ACAP Center, you may use the services at Transition Assistance Offices operated by the other military services.

Employment assistance services begin with attendance at a workshop or use of ACAP XXI's automated Job Assistance Training Application (JATA). Department of Labor instructors facilitate Transition Assistance Program (TAP) Workshops. These workshops are designed to give you the basic knowledge and skills to plan and execute a successful job search.

If your transition timeline or mission requirements prevent you from attending a workshop, you can visit your ACAP Center and use JATA to receive the same instruction that is generally covered in a TAP workshop. Each module of the Job Assistance Training Application addresses one phase of the job search process. Together, the six modules present the basics of a job search. Whether you attend a workshop or use JATA, you'll learn the following skills:

  • How to assess your preferences, skills, experience, education and training.
  • How to make career decisions about your career objectives and financial needs.
  • How to win an interview by identifying job opportunities, writing effective resumes and applications, and researching potential employers.
  • How to win the job by preparing for and participating in successful interviews.

Your ACAP Center can provide additional employment assistance and resources that will usually include the following services:

  • Individual counseling and assistance
  • Job fairs
  • A job search library
  • Access to job listings
  • Automated tools for preparing resumes, cover letters and federal job applications
  • Assistance in preparing resumes and cover letters
  • Assistance in preparing for interviews

Not everyone is so fortunate as to be located on a major installation with an ACAP Center. Even those who are located on major installations may find that duties prevent their using the services of these offices as much as they would like. This website, however, is designed to provide much of the transition information you need and access to other websites that link you to special programs, job opportunities, resources and assistance.

Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET) - DD Form 2586
Your military service has given you valuable training and experience that can improve your chance of getting a good job or achieving your educational goals. As a Service member, you have had numerous training and job experiences, perhaps too many to easily recall and include on a job or college application. Fortunately, the military has made life a little easier in this regard. The DD Form 2586, Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET), is created from a service member's automated records on file. It lists military job experience and training history, recommended college credit information and civilian equivalent job titles. This document is designed to help you apply for jobs, but it is not a resume.

You can obtain a copy of your VMET document online at http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/vmet. You will need your DFAS myPay pin number to download your document. While at the site, be sure you also print a copy of VMET Frequently Asked Questions. Once you have your VMET document, you should review it to ensure it is accurate. Then identify the experience and training you believe will help you to convince employers that you're the right person for the job. Because of the personal information they contain, DMDC cannot release VMET documents directly to a third party, such as a school, etc.

Transition Bulletin Board (TBB)
The TBB provides a listing of job want ads and other useful information to separating or retiring military and federal civilian personnel and their spouses around the world. You can reach TBB at http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/ot/. For more information, visit your ACAP Center.

Teacher and Teacher's Aide Opportunities/Certification Program
Many service members want to use their education and experience to help young people learn, but they don't have the required certification or the desire to take the traditional route to gaining certification. Each state has special programs for alternative teacher and teacher's aide certification (in some states known as Troops to Teachers . Those interested in teaching positions must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college. Those interested in teaching vocational subjects (for example, electronics, computer, construction trades, etc.) are not required to have a college degree to apply; however, they must be able to document their skill level or expertise. Individuals interested in teacher's aide positions must have two years of college or an Associates degree. For more information on this program visit the Troops to Teachers website at http://www.proudtoserveagain.com/.

Federal Employment Opportunities
Many transitioning service members want to continue their government service as civilian employees of the federal government. Opportunities for federal employment exist across the United States and at many foreign locations. Your military service may entitle you to preferential treatment in your competition for a federal position. A useful veterans guide to federal employment has been developed by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and is available for your use at http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetguide.asp. In addition, the Department of Labor's FirstGov for Workers website, at http://www.firstgov.gov, offers links to major federal job centers and specific agencies.

Many believe that applying for a federal job is a challenge. Certainly, the federal job search process is unique. OPM has developed a website to provide information about federal job opportunities and the application process that makes application forms available. If you're interested in a federal job, you should visit http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/. The Go Defense website at http://www.go-defense.com will connect you with Department of Defense jobs, DoD recruiters and advisors who can help you with applications. Don't forget that your local ACAP Center can help you discover the local federal job market.

State Employment Services and Your Local Veterans Employment Representative
Wherever you plan to live, your state employment services office is a valuable part of your employment assistance team. There you will find specialists called Local Veterans Employment Representatives (LVER) and Disabled Veterans Outreach Program Specialists (DVOP) who are trained to help veterans make the important adjustment to the civilian job market. They can help you find local job opportunities and prepare you to win your new job. When you visit your state employment services office, make sure they know you are a veteran.

The CareerOneStop website at http://www.careeronestop.org integrates national websites to organize comprehensive job market, employment and training information, and resources in a single location.

Online Job Assistance Resources
Many employers are interested in hiring military service members. They consider the military to be a highly skilled and disciplined, professional workforce that possesses a well-developed work ethic and strong interpersonal skills. ACAP Job Listings connects you and your family members with employers who have indicated an interest in hiring you. Sponsored by the Army, ACAP Job Listings is an active database of current jobs submitted and managed by hiring officials registered with ACAP On-Line. You can easily search the ACAP Job Listings database and other Internet job listing resources. Click on Jobs at the left of your screen to initiate an automated search of five major job search sites on the web.

If you prefer to focus your job search within a specific career field, you will find federal, state, private industry and recruiter sites by clicking on Links at the left of your screen. Industry-specific websites provide information and support your job search with job boards, career fairs and resume posting services. Once you select the skills, experience and training you want to market in your job search, you can use these sites to research employers and job opportunities.

PaYS is the Army’s recruiting program designed to match the job needs of civilian companies with transitioning Soldiers who have developed proficiency in 94 select job skills offered by the Army. If when you enlisted you chose a specific company that has employment requirements for your chosen military skill, you are required to notify your PaYS employer of your transition plans and, upon completion of your active duty obligation, either apply for a job or indicate you are no longer interested in working for the company.

The ACAP Center will remind you of your PaYS agreement and provide employer contact information. If you want a job with your selected employer, you will be given priority status for employment. Remember, your PaYS agreement is not binding on either you or the company. More information regarding PaYS is available at http://www.armypays.com.

Previous                              Next

Return to Top

Untitled Document
Transition Assistance

Preseparation Timeline

Effects of a Career Change

Employment Assistance

Relocation Assistance


Health and Life Insurance


Reserve Affiliation

Veterans Benefits Briefing

Disabled Veterans Benefits

Post Government (Military) Service Employment Restriction Counseling

Retiring Soldier